Author Topic: Discord Servers, Otherkin and general bullshittery  (Read 339 times)

CrystalisRC

• dragons! dragons everywhere!
Discord Servers, Otherkin and general bullshittery
« on: April 17, 2017, 02:31:59 am »
I've been part of the otherkin communities as long as 1995-1998...and frankly for the past few weeks..a set of peculiar behaviours has warranted my attention.

The talk about science, research, fictionkin (otherkin coming from mangas and movies like Gundam Wing, Twilight or Macross Plus) to name a few and the conclusion of banning and kicking people without notice kinda upsets me...

Draconic and Dragon Realms used to be a place where 10-30 channels existed at a time where a lot of us could discuss our spiritual and physical natures.  While some of us still enjoy that aspect, I've seen places like DreamHart, Otherkin.net and other related otherkin sites turn into dissection labs trying to use science and math to brainfart their way into our communities.

The gryphons have their own community, the weres/therians have their own community, the dragons have their own community, even the witches, faes and elves have their own community.

I get it, we all have our communities.  Given the amount of power hungry admins and the ability to create a server anywhere on Discord,   I felt outcasted by the communities I was raised in (with the exception of Draconic and DR)

anyone else experienced this as of late?
Whether we be furry or otherkin, we be all the same

NoddyTheDragon

Re: Discord Servers, Otherkin and general bullshittery
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 11:22:02 am »
I'm not a big fan of the whole "science" thing either.  I find it to be too religious in nature, more along the lines of "scientism" than an actual proper usage of science. 

Also, as far as fictionkin and that type of thing goes, I think that if I believe I'm a dragon, I've got no business saying that someone who thinks they're a Na'vi is wrong or stupid or any of that stuff.  As far as the rest of the world is concerned, dragons and Na'vi are both works of fiction, so it doesn't do a Dragonkin any bit of good whatsoever to get on a fictionkin's case for their weird beliefs.

And finally, I agree that a lot of people are real power-hungry.  I got permabanned from Draconic because, according to KaniS, I was a "danger to the community."  My crime: I had proved his favorite moderator wrong in a forum debate, and later called her out for her bullying of a younger member who was complaining of abuse at home.  I'm sorry, but I'm not going to stand idly by while a moderator uses their position of power as a blunt force weapon to silence people they don't like.  And if that means a permaban for me, then I guess that's what it means.  Doesn't mean I have to like it, though.

CrystalisRC

• dragons! dragons everywhere!
Re: Discord Servers, Otherkin and general bullshittery
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 07:54:54 pm »
The moderators have changed after the main servers went down...the days of 10-30 channels and draconic being populated and waned to about 1 and a half channels with people trying to salvage the community to a bearing where everyone's accepted.  Do I recommend going back to Draconic? The forum activity has been recent as of late, but as for the IRC...it pains me to see it in the state it is.  The difference is that Dragon Realms was created from that fomer oppression and the didn't have enough time to collect metadata and input (that's basically what DR 2.0 is). 

They want to learn from their mistakes since they're trying to re-capture the data from the old archives and use the new forums to make this place more spiritual and more of a sanctuary.
Whether we be furry or otherkin, we be all the same