• Welcome to Dragon Realms Reborn.

News:

Dragon Realms lives again!

Main Menu

Gaming Suggestions

Started by Akhorishaan, February 25, 2016, 07:52:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akhorishaan

Here's a few games that I would recommend people give a try, and what I think really makes them shine.

Undertale - Amazing story and music, and a fresh take on RPG combat.
Ori and the Blind Forest - Amazing story and music, beautiful artwork, built on the classic MetroidVania format, good challenge.
Dark Souls - Amazing gameplay, beautiful environments, extremely challenging combat with very tight controls.

Feel free to add to this thread with your own suggestions and why you think people should play the games! <3

Tysha

Mine are all board games, cos that's how I roll these days ^_^

Splendor - You get to collect shiny gems!
Black Fleet - PIRATES! Also super shiny treasure coins.
Tsuro: The Game of the Path - You're a dragon, flying around the board you create as you play.

TashRikil

I'll add a couple of my favorites.

Ark: Survival Evolved: Tame and train your own dinosaur army. Nuff said.
Shadowrun: Boston Lockdown: Features a dragon. No spoilers!
The Secret World: Guess my favorite faction. Go on, guess!
Minecraft: I just like it.
Terraria: I like sandboxes, don't judge me!  :P

Hornwitser

I'll add some of my favorites too

Spyro the Dragon - Dragon 3d platformer, nothing more needs to be said.
Super Mario 64 - Gorgeous 3d platformer with the best movement controls I've ever played with.
Myst & Riven - Point and click adventure classics with a good story.
Sim City 4 - Build and manage your own city.

Semblance

Quote from: Tysha on February 25, 2016, 08:10:04 AM
Mine are all board games, cos that's how I roll these days ^_^

Splendor - You get to collect shiny gems!
Black Fleet - PIRATES! Also super shiny treasure coins.
Tsuro: The Game of the Path - You're a dragon, flying around the board you create as you play.

You board game too! It's too bad you're so far away. I own about 100 of these things..
Some of my board game favorites are:

Fury of Dracula - One Dracula player, the rest are hunters. Hidden movement and stuff.
Twilight Imperium 3 - Good, long space opera game. Sort of like Masters of Orion on a board game, lots of politics.
Dungeon Petz - Raise and show off / sell monster pets to aspiring dungeon masters.

I won't be stopped, though! Here's some video games too..

Monster Hunter 3/4 Ultimate - Build equipment sets, hunt big monsters. Very grindy, but challenging and lots of fun with friends. (if anyone plays 3U (wii U) or 4U (3ds) let me know!)
Descent series - This includes freespace and the old 1/2/3 games, plus the new underground and games like sublevel zero..it's my past.
Warcraft 2 - One of the only RTS games I will still play, aside from Total Annihilation. The rest just..add too much micromanagement without much fun.
Ori and the Blind Forest - This is a beautiful and deceptively difficult game. The first game I bought simply for the soundtrack..
Never Alone - As buggy as it can be (it may be fixed by now), this is a wonderful game that teaches you quite a bit about the history of the peoples involved.

Makar

Istaria - An older sandbox game that allows you to play as a dragon and grow from hatchling, to adult, to ancient in an open world.  The graphics are a bit dated, but if you can overlook that, the game is beautiful, immersive, and there's an enormous amount of things to do (even build your own lair).  The game is FTP as a human, but there's a monthly subscription fee if you want to play as another race and own a plot or lair.  You're given two weeks free to try any race. 

I haven't played in awhile due to life, but I certainly loved it while I played and will eventually find myself back there at some point in time.

Tysha

Quote from: Makar on February 26, 2016, 04:54:42 PM
Istaria - An older sandbox game that allows you to play as a dragon and grow from hatchling, to adult, to ancient in an open world. 
I played Istaria back when it was still called Horizons: Empire of Istaria :)

While I had a dragon character, I actually enjoyed playing my Elven Multicrafter far more. I joined in with so many community builds while I played. But like most MMO's I've played since SWG, I just lost interest eventually :(

Akhorishaan

I played Horizons/Istaria as well. Maybe I might pick it up again someday. See how things are going. <3

Makar

Quote from: Tysha on February 28, 2016, 12:20:52 PM
Quote from: Makar on February 26, 2016, 04:54:42 PM
Istaria - An older sandbox game that allows you to play as a dragon and grow from hatchling, to adult, to ancient in an open world. 
I played Istaria back when it was still called Horizons: Empire of Istaria :)

While I had a dragon character, I actually enjoyed playing my Elven Multicrafter far more. I joined in with so many community builds while I played. But like most MMO's I've played since SWG, I just lost interest eventually :(

Likewise, though my interest still remains.  I just find myself unable to find time to play things that immersive anymore.  I really should make time.  Istaria, as odd as it sounds, presented me with a strange feeling of "home".

Vellos

I can think of a few random things to recommend:

Undertale: Definitely also going to recommend this one.  The less you know going into the game the better, truly.  A great story, and it's not too long either to get the two main endings, though more if you absolutely must know what happens in a genocide run.  It's another one of those single-writer games too, like Cave Story.

The music is also damned good: https://tobyfox.bandcamp.com/album/undertale-soundtrack

Tropico Series:  A SimCity-like city-builder and political simulator in one.  It's snarky as hell.  Manage your people, the factions in it, build an economy and keep it running.  Oh, and ward off the influences and bickering of the US and USSR.  ...or, run an Orwellian dictatorship, complete with propaganda and secret police.

Read Only Memories:  A modern imagining of a 16-bit point and click adventure game, except cyberpunk.  It's got an excellent story, as you'll spend most of the game with a little sapient AI, trying to figure out what happened to his creator.  Dumb AIs are everywhere, bioengineered life and humans (hybrids) are as well.  To me, it's a novel in a video game.

ARK: if i accidentally press e while flying again so help me god i will lose my mind

Serpenthor

I've also been playing ARK:, and it's pretty awesome...though I somehow ended up with a rather large dodo farm. >.> 

For those who prefer something a bit...well, a LOT...darker, I suggest Layers of Fear.  It's a first person atmospheric, psychological horror.  If you like art, the bizarre, and getting the paint scared out of you, then by all means enjoy this creepy number.

Night of the Rabbit is also highly recommended for those who love a good story, and your typical point-and-click adventure.  I can't delve too much into this one, but the graphics are a spectacular illustrative style, and the story is quite well-written.  Look for 32 dew drops.

Another very illustrative point-and-click with a compelling story (though beware, the game does once in awhile glitch back to desktop, or at least it did for me via steam) is Drawn: The Painted Tower.  Beautiful art style, and a very unique story line make it well worth playing.  Can't wait to pick up the second one.

Another classic puzzler more myst-style: The Room.  Very short, but beautiful game.  I guess this one first hit tablets, then PC, but if that's true then the port is very good.  Loved this one.

Also an excellent point-and-click adventure series, Deponia. Good story, good humor, puzzles get a bit abstract but that's typical for the genre.  A classic in the making, for sure.

For those who like the action RPG Diablo-style I recommend Torchlight 2, and the Van Helsing games.  Not much to say about them, they're standard Diablo style click-till-they-die games.  <3

Story driven bonus round goes to: The Blackwell series.  Another point-and-click adventure (can you tell what my favorite game style is...?) with a clever story that spans the entire series very well.  You and a 1940's sass-filled ghost detective have to run around helping other ghosts 'move on' and learn that they're no longer living.  Simple enough, right?  Buuuut...there's something much larger behind everything that pulls the entire series together beautifully.

DragonNamedRedd

I'm currently playing ESO right now.  It's actually kinda fun and the Imperial Edition is about $20 on G2A.

Other than that, I have my steam in my profle, take a look at it!
Try Everything

Redalgo

I've played a lot of games over the years but Istaria is the most familiar name leaping out at me in this thread - I didn't leave it behind until sometime around 2013 but was a very late arrival to the community. Currently alternating between Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns and Star Trek Online, and will likely get immersed in Star Citizen if/when it gets out of beta.

GW2 is an MMORPG with a decent story, good graphics, decent character customization and scaling of critter levels, and I enjoy that there is no subscription system in place for it.

Star Citizen is an ambitious crowd-funded project of the sci-fi genre that in some ways may be similar to Elite but with different strengths and weaknesses as it concerns content.

@Semblance - I used to play Descent 2 quite a bit but never really mastered it!

@Redd - I was very enticed by ESO for awhile but got spooked off when they announced early on that it'd involve subscription payments. I might be tempted to consider it again!

CrystalisRC

Dust: An Elysian Tale
Angels With Scaley Wings (a story about otherkin and humans)
(This one game I couldn't think of that has an owl and some expansions associated with it and an epic storyline)

edited footnote: Ori and the Blind Forest - Amazing story and music, beautiful artwork, built on the classic MetroidVania format, good challenge.
(it was that one XD)
Whether we be furry or otherkin, we be all the same